Monday, July 02, 2007

The real thing...

At my 19 week check up last week we had another amazing scan with Dr. Stonehenge. Sushi is beautiful and we even got a full face profile of her in 4d that has her looking like a real person and not an alien baby with a funny flat head and squashed up features. She looked real.

It's all starting to hit me (you mean it hasn't already you say?) We are going to have a baby. This actually worked. I got lucky somehow. There is a little person in all of this and whereas last year there was just this wish for something abstract, intangible as it was and definitely out of my grasp, now here it is growing and pulsing and feeding off of my last meal and depending entirely on me.

It just hit me this ultrasound. I think it was the profile and seeing that face. It was suddenly this little person.

I told Stonehenge about the move to Mexico and he didn't seem phased at all. He just smirked a little and said "You'll probably have a cesarean you know." And I said "yes I read the statistics on the internet" I had read that over 40 percent of hospital births in Mexico are by cesarean. He said "well, I think it's actually higher than that. And not to scare you but they'll throw you in the high risk category right away because of your age and you'll probably end up getting one." I didn't want to think about it. I had other things on my mind like my sanity in all this moving business. Somehow my brain has just recently decided that it will only handle information pertaining to the next two weeks: --my son's preschool farewell picnic, cancelling my cell phone, taking care of bank papers. There is no longer room for anything months off in the future like giving birth and breastfeeding and conquering new languages.

Last but not least I found out I have a yeast infection. Well I actually knew it. It's hard not to know. It's caused by an overproduction of estrogen and is apparently really common in pregnant women. It's pretty much on the mend already but dear me is this estrogen wave I'm riding ever going to hit the shore? I'm tired of all the side effects from it. What's next I have to ask? No wait I don't even want to know. I'll probably start growing talons and my voice will turn baritone. Then I'll google it and it will say "too much estrogen."

4 comments:

swissmiss said...

Hm, I hope you can find a good doctor there you can work with to do things your way. Your birth experience in France sounds a lot like mine in Switzerland (though Switzerland also has an insanely high rate of C-sections, I think the highest in western europe?) - you're right, we have been spoiled. (Blessed.) I really hope you find somebody good in Mexico.

And yeah, estrogen. Lord, at least I'm off the suppliment. My life improved 100% when I got to quit the hormone support.

My next appointment will feature a 4D scan - I'm curious how strangely different it will be.

L Vanel said...

Chris, I am so happy now that your sushi is now really a baby in your mind. Your accepting baby also makes me really feel the joy too. I am sure that whatever comes your way in Mexico you'll manage with great aplomb. Your two week rule seems like a very good way to go about things right now. L

Marie-Baguette said...

Just like the other readers, I am confident you will find a doctor who is not obsessed with Csections. There is a huge movement to reduce these in the world, and I am sure some doctors in Mexico are aware of it! Your 2 weeks rule makes a lot of sense. Keep us in the loop after your move!

Em said...

19 weeks already? I bet she is just beautiful, Chris.

I hope you can find a good OB who doesn't push c-sections.

I think your two-week outlook is a good plan!