I got a wonderful Christmas present from Dr. Stonehenge on Friday in the form of an appointment with him for this week, his busiest period. His secretary must have heard the desperation in my voice, or maybe it was the incessant calling last week to see if she had a cancellation. She finally dug up some space in her book, squeezing me in between no doubt two very pregnant patients. So tomorrow afternoon I'll have my rapid fire chat with the geekily handsome but very petite Dr.'Henge about the next big step, the IUI. I'm sure the conversation will terminate with the standard "call when you get your next period" schpiel. But it's the first positive news I've had in so many weeks and I'm taking it and gnawing on it like the table scrap that it is. This hungry dog's ribs are starting to show.
We had a nice weekend celebrating Christmas with a few neighbors in front of our newly installed fireplace. Guilt and obsession combined told me to abstain from bad things like foie gras, certain cheeses and of course alcohol, but my long standing demonic hatred for abstention for conception purposes won out and I celebrated the holiday festivities guilt free with a glass of champagne in hand (a glass or...uh maybe two that is). I woke up to a small headache, a lot of guilt and a massive temperature dip. Today it's all straightened out and looking upwards again. Who knew alcohol could reek such havoc on a bbt?
The rest of my cycle will play out at my mother-in-law's house over the holiday weekend. The idea of not having access to my chart to obsess over leaves me in a slight state of panic. The thought of receiving my period on Christmas Eve (very cruel) leaves me thinking that there really is an Infertility Grinch cavorting about at this time of year spreading 'stanky-stunk' Christmas cheer. Let's hope he doesn't make it to my in-laws. They no longer have a fireplace since they moved last month and I think this might be a good sign; no passageway for the Grinch. But, maybe his two sizes too small heart will find me a few days after Christmas as I sit curled up in front of our new fireplace at home. Let's just hope he stays up in the mountains where he belongs and leaves me to enjoy the ultimate gift.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yeah on getting an appointment with the new OB! I am hoping that this turns out to be a good cycle and you won't even need an IUI much less IVF, but if the period Grinch arrives on Christmas Eve, then maybe you can get started this cycle. E is a Christmas baby. By that I mean AF showed with a vengeance Christmas Day and we conceived that cycle. You never know.
If AF shows while you are at the in-laws, you have my permission to drink as much wonderful red wine as necessary.
Good news on getting the appointment with the OB this week. Sometimes good things happen when our expectations are lowest. My fingers are crossed for you - you never know!
Hope you have a great Christmas, and I'm with Em, if AF shows on Christmas Eve, then drink up. Hopefully it will be the last chance you get to imbibe in quite a while (-:
It better be a very good red is all I gotta say!
Hey Em I was studying your chart for baby E and noticed that you conceived (er was inseminated...) on the same day as me. No wonder we shared due dates. I suppose that makes sense (duh) but it just had me thinking how odd it was that we were in the same sort of place at the same moment a few years back.
Wow Casey, hi! It's like old home week around here. Happy holidays to you too and let's all have a restful and noneventful weekend.
Post a Comment