It's a very hot day, I'd say about 110 degrees outside and my lips are cracked they're so parched. I'd like to get in the shade but I look down and see that my feet are cemented to the ground. Off in the distance there's a lemonade stand with fresh icy lemonade being prepared by two adorable little girls in blue crushed velvet dresses with white pinafore collars. I watch them prepare the first batch, first cutting the fat, juicy lemons, then adding a half cup of sugar, and some cold water. They shake the mixture in a metal canister full of ice, giggling all the while. They keep beckoning for me to come to them to get the lemonade but my legs are stuck, all the way to my shins. I'm really thirsty. Why don't they just bring me the lemonade! I pull a few coins from my pocket and toss them to the girls, and finally one of them comes over, gingerly holding a sweaty glass of citrus heaven in both of her little hands. She sets the glass at my feet and then skips away back to her stand. I lick my lips in anticipation of that first sip. I'm so relieved. Finally some satisfaction. I bend down to pick the glass up, but as do I realize that it's just out of reach. My legs are cemented too high to bend enough to reach it. "Uh hey, little girl, little girl over here! Hey you! Hey..." I try to get it again, bending really low and stretching my fingers, but it's really just out of reach. I try to get their attention again but the two girls are suddenly swamped with customers and can barely make the lemonade fast enough to serve everyone.
Meanwhile I watch all the customers off in the distance enjoying their lemonade, chatting and laughing. They're complaining about the weather and about how hot it is, but hey how can they complain. They have their lemonade! They're drinking their lemonade! They have no idea what it means to be so hot and thirsty!
Meanwhile my glass sits at my feet just out of reach, the ice has long since melted and there's a wet spot on the pavement from the condensation. My legs are tired. I'm frustrated and all I want now is to get my feet out of the cement and sit down. Forget the lemonade I just need to rest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Beautiful, Chris. Now there is a metaphor.
Post a Comment